Thursday, June 7, 2012

Texans in Boston: Part 1

About a year ago, my sweet friend Katelyn moved to Boston. A girls trip was finally on the calendar and we made the trip to beautiful Boston back in May. The weather couldn't have been better, a refreshing high of 75 and clear skies! The company was even more delightful...Kelly and Ady (two of my high school friends) made the trip with me. We also got the chance to get to know Pat, Katelyn's boyfriend, a little better...well, much better. That is inevitable when sharing a one bedroom, one bath apartment together for three days. What a sweet guy to put up with 4 girls in the bathroom getting ready for a night out! 

Our first stop after a day of flying, Bunker Hill

Here's how it went: 
Katelyn: "And here's Bunker Hill! I can't really park. Want to get out and see it?"
Ady: "Nah, this is good."
Me: "Um, YES!" 
Me: "What's the history behind this?"
Katelyn: "Not sure."
Kel: "Let's just snap some photos and go!"


Being the history buff that I am (hmm) I found the plaque below the monument. "Don't shoot till you see the whites of their eyes." And then I remembered the story! Ok, so I'm not a history buff (but I did enjoy history classes the most during school), but when I take the time to fly to a different city, I try to take the time to explore. You never know if you will be back (but I hope to, just love me some Boston!!!)

The most precious part about this hill were all the families picnicking and enjoying a glass of wine while watching their kids play with their friends. That is MY kind of playdate!


Katelyn and Pat live right outside the city, near the Museum of Science (where we started our Duck Boat Tour, more on that to come). They are on the top floor and have a gorgeous view of the city, the bridges, and the river. After catching up over some wine and cheese, we freshened up and headed to our next Boston site, the top of the Prudential Tower



Dinner following our view of the city was in the North End at Carmelina's! Delish! For those new to the city, the North End is a little piece of home for me, it's the "Little Italy" of Boston. I wish San Antonio had a couple streets dedicated to the Italians. In fact, shouldn't all cities have this?  


Loved the cobblestone streets on our way to one of the oldest bars in Boston. 



After feeling patriotic drinking Sam Adam's beer and dancing the night away, we walked outside to find a cab. On our way, we saw the New England Holocaust Memorial...no words needed:



And to cap off our first night in Boston, we met a masshole. I was unfamiliar to this term until our cab incident. Kelly and I had legally, rightfully, proudly, and politely hailed a cab (after waiting a LONG time) and out of the blue two other girls just jump in...as we were leaning in the window to tell the driver where we wanted to go. And that is when we learned the new word: masshole.

To be fair: Not all Bostonites are massholes, just those two girls who stole our cab. We had a lovely time the rest of our trip...and to find out...stay tuned for Boston Part 2!


1 comment:

ryeager said...

Oh my gosh . . . that picture of you and Kel at Bunker Hill is literally right across the street from our house! We live on Monument Sq. So funny! You must always beware of the Massholes! I hope you guys had fun in Boston!