Tuesday, August 6, 2013

The stuff 4 year old's nightmares are made of

I miss those predictable nights. Once Davis started sleeping through the night (as a baby) he was easy to put to sleep and we knew we wouldn't hear from him till 12 wonderful hours later. It's a different story now.

I could go on and on trying to analyze and figure it out...he's older, he's in a big boy bed, he doesn't nap, he naps too much, he didn't get enough activity...who cares really. All that matters is that Forrest and I are walking zombies again and I'm freaking out because we have a newborn coming in just 4-5 months!

Each night is unpredictable...a different reason for waking up...a different hour...and you never know if he will fall back asleep.

Last night, I heard him start to cry around 3:30am. I wanted to ignore it, but the sad little whimper just kept coming through the monitor. So I got up and checked on him. He was half awake when I went into his room so I decided to just lay next to him and rub his back, hoping it would calm him down and make him go back to sleep. As he looked at me, I asked him what's wrong. Through tears he responded, "my crocs are broken." I quickly explained to him it was a dream and his crocs were fine. And there you have it, a 4 year old's nightmare.

Looking back, I shouldn't have gone into his room. He probably would have fallen back asleep on his own. I'm paying for it now, Davis was up at 3:30am and never went back to sleep. Neither did we. Fun times.

No comments: