Friday, April 8, 2011

A Letter From My Mom

Dear Family and Friends,

Here I am, a week before the MS150 bike ride, feeling slightly nervous, wondering if I will have the wind at my back and if rain might be an issue or will I be able to sleep the night before the ride. I checked my bike odometer and see that I have over 2000 miles logged in. I have trained every weekend since December. Because I am a slower rider than many of my Tough Cookie team,(It is the age thing, I am sure!!) it takes me 4-6 hours or more each day to ride the miles required to be trained. Next Saturday, I will be riding 100 miles which I expect to be on the bike 8 to 9 hours and then another 6 hours on Sunday. When I started this crazy adventure, it was about me and could I do this at my age and level of fitness, but soon after I started training, I connected with Kathie, my very special friend. I also met others with MS. Now I realize I ride, because I can. I often think of Kathie as I get up for these long rides and sometimes complain about the amount of training and the persistent wind in my face. MS patients are wondering will they be able to function when they wake up in the morning or will they be able to get out of bed. Kathie's future and the future of others with MS puts this ride in perspective for me. For this reason, I will ride the MS150. I will be carrying a bandana on my bike signed by Kathie. While I ride along side my team of Tough Cookies, Tom, my husband, and 13,000 other riders, I will see people with MS on the roadside holding signs and cheering us on. I will talk to other cyclist riding for their loved ones with MS. I know that when I am riding from Houston to Austin that I get more than I give on these two long days. Kathie has been and will be praying for me and all the Tough Cookies. I ride in honor of Kathie because I can.

I wanted to send a gentle reminder to those of you who wish to donate but may have forgotten. I know many of you donated in the MS Walk so please do not feel obligated to donate again.

Sincerely,

Ann Francese

No comments: