Monday, May 20, 2013

Good-bye Paci

Davis has used a paci since his 2nd night home from the hospital. My mom tells the story well as she was the one up with the inconsolable infant that night. But let's be honest, the whole house was up. That was one loud cry. Forrest got up to help my mom and they decided to try out a pacifier. We hadn't even opened the package yet. Forrest was diligent, read the directions, boiled the paci, and what felt like three hours later (to my mom especially), Davis was peacefully asleep, paci in mouth.



Fast forward to the 6 month mark. I remember the pediatrician telling...more like warning...me that after 6 months babies really start to form habits so you might want to consider dropping the paci. Um, no way! That thing gave us comfort and much needed sleep (Davis didn't sleep through the night till after turning 1). At that point however, I did decide to make the paci a nap-time/bed-time use only.

When Davis turned 3 I really felt like it was time to get rid of the paci. Maybe I was making excuses at the time and postponing things, but when Davis turned 3 we were potty training, selling our old house, living with my in-laws, and buying a new house. It was all just a little much.

Our new goal was 4 years old. It HAD to go by 4! Davis seemed okay with this. He told us "when I turn 4, I will take my paci's to the dentist (I think he confused hospital and dentist) to give them to the new babies." Somehow, over the past couple of weeks the paci conversation kept coming up. So Forrest and I decided to end it once and for all. And how, you ask, did we accomplish this? Good old fashioned bribery!

I took Davis to Target and told him he could pick out any one toy he wanted. We walked up and down those aisles forever looking for the perfect toy. He finally picked out a hot wheels toy. When we got home, the toy went on top of the fridge. We then made a chart with three boxes, one for each night he went without a paci. If he could make it three nights, he could have the toy.

The first night was probably the hardest. He kept coming out of his room saying, "I can't make it!" Just for peace and quiet I wanted to give in. We just kept giving Davis positive reinforcement and changing the subject away from the paci. He finally fell asleep two hours after bedtime. The next two nights were easier and besides having to hear a couple whines about "I want my toy today," it worked. He made it three nights, plays with his new hot wheels toy, and accepts the fact the pacis are gone!!!!!


3 comments:

Jenni said...

Yeah for Davis!! We have a thumb sucker in our house...trying to figure that one out since you can't exactly just take that away...

Courtney Squillante said...

I'm so impressed! Totally dreading that day for us!!!!

Melissa Ruffino said...
This comment has been removed by the author.