Thursday, December 6, 2012

Australia...Sydney Harbour Bridge

I was in Australia for 11 amazing days! It was a long time to be away from Davis and Forrest, but thank goodness for facetime! Due to the fact that I was there for 11 days, I will not bore you with 11 blog posts from each day, instead I will just hit the highlights!

The Sydney Harbour Bridge is the largest and widest arched bridge in the world and I had to be forced to the top! I'm not a fan of heights. When you're half way across the world, you kinda have to suck it up and face your fears. We decided to climb the bridge the very first day we were in Sydney. Weather was perfectly forecasted and we were up bright and early, excited about our first day. I enjoyed our morning breakfast and walk to the bridge, completely blocking out thoughts about what I was about to do. We signed up for the first climb that morning, signed our life away on paper, and got suited up in these adorable jumpsuits (pictured below). You are not allowed to take anything with you that can be dropped from above. Everything has to be clipped onto your suit.

To prepare us for what was to come, they had a small tower for practice climbing. Well that's all it took, I had a small panic attack at the top, the words "holy shit" might have come out of my mouth, and I was suddenly over heating in my jumpsuit! Luckily, our awesome guide noticed, and suggested I follow immediately after him on our climb. I had other thoughts...like maybe I should just wait here till everyone else got back.

As you can see from our picture, I did make it to the top! There was a lot of praying, breathing, and avoiding looking down. Surprisingly, once we did make it to the top I was very calm. The view was extraordinary! The Syndey Harbour is massive! It's 250 miles total and covered with beautiful homes, sights like the Opera house, businesses, and restaurants with the best views!

What a workout! After 1,332 steps, we burned 600-800 calories. I think I burned more since I was panicking. Our guide is only allowed to do 3 climbs per day. Along the way, our guide gave us fun facts about the bridge and the sights through our headphones, also attached to our suits.

Almost to the top! Don't you love our gear?
We climbed all the way to the top, to the flags!

No comments: