Monday, May 17, 2010

On Your Left!


This past weekend was our first triathlon of the season and boy was it MUCH TOUGHER than I remember. Maybe it's because I haven't been riding my bike, or because I had only been swimming twice, or because I hate to run? Excuses, I know. It was an absolute blast!!! I love that we have a whole group involved: my mom, my sister, my aunt, my cousin, my best friend...and the list goes on! I came home Sunday completely exhausted and it wasn't just from the race. Let me start at the beginning...

Friday night I put Davis to sleep around 7pm. Forrest was at a crawfish boil with his cousins celebrating graduations. I was sad to miss it, but kind of excited to stay home and rest on the couch with a good movie. Davis has been sleeping 12 hours, sometimes 13, solid at night. It's wonderful. I knew something was wrong when I started to hear him stir around 8pm. And he didn't stop. It sounded like he was just talking to himself so I let him be and thought he would eventually fall back asleep. After a while, I was curious what he was up to, so I checked him. He was burning up. Poor little man had a high fever and started throwing up. After a bath, some medicine, and pedialyte, I held him and rocked him for the rest of the night. Saturday we kept Davis on a liquid diet, no solid foods. He seemed much better and I was excited to get a good night's sleep before the triathlon. Wrong. Because we skipped out on some of his solid food that day, Davis woke up hungry twice that night. Then I was up at 5am for the race.

The race was a short sprint. 300 meter swim, 11 mile bike, and 2 mile run. The swim in this particular race is not my favorite. The lake is so narrow which makes it impossible not to kick others or be kicked yourself. Every time I went up for air someone's arm was making a splash. So instead of inhaling fresh air, I was gulping lovely lake water. Ann Marie even had her goggles kicked off her face! She and I somehow managed to stay together through the entire swim, getting out of the water at the exact same time. Then it was onto the bike. Ann Marie and I also managed to stay together throughout the bike ride. I have a hybrid, not a bad bike, but not the best. I kept hearing the swishing of fast roadbikes with an "on your left" from the woman passing me. After the bike Ann Marie was a couple minutes behind me, but I knew she would soon be running next to me. Along the run, because it loops, I saw Jaki, Renee, and Kelly! Ann Marie and I crossed the finish line together. I'm anxious to see pictures because I'm pretty sure I was so focused and ready to pass out after the hour and thirteen minutes that I didn't even hear the people cheering us on along the sidelines. After the race I even asked Forrest, "where were you?" He and Davis were right there at the finish and I didn't even notice. I just wanted water, a massage, and a nap! Because Forrest was taking care of Davis, he didn't get a chance to take many pictures. Hopefully I'll get more from the rest of the crew.

So proud of my mom, she placed second in her age group and she beat me!




And the icing on the cake...I fell asleep on our leather sofa and awoke to find my race number from my arm on the couch. Uh oh! Anyone know how to get permanent marker off leather? Otherwise there will forever be a 5 and a 3 on our couch.

1 comment:

Courtney Squillante said...

Congrats, Tina!!! What an exciting accomplishment!